Monday, March 2, 2009

Pacifism and Terrorism


Admittedly, this topic has and always will be a difficult road to navigate for followers of the Way. A nation that values security (like ours) must authorize its govt. to ensure that security in a way that will discourage terrorism from outside and within, while at the same time doing so with integrity and as humanely as possible. It is a delicate balance to say the least. I think that as long as our govt. is having to engage in these methods of protection for its citizens, the church can and should support those who offer themselves sacrificially for its neighbors. Yes, training is intense, and war is hell. But I would rather my child be trained intensely and prepared for the realities of combat than not. The question becomes for me, how can the church best assist this endeavor and help with the integrity and healing issues that come along with it. I support chaplaincy and think it vital that the church go out of its way to minister to returning vets in a positive, supportive, loving way. I also believe the church should be a supportive environment for those who have and are serving. Rather than demonizing those who have truly offered their lives for the citizens of their nation and often other countries, we need to celebrate their sacrifice and support them in reintegration so they can become healthy Christian leaders in society. We also need to help vets understand the differences between their patriotic beliefs (love of nation) from their Christian faith (love of God and neighbor) and help them theologically sort out a healthy paradigm for serving nation while ultimately serving God and neighbor.

As far as pacifism, I try by all means to be personally pacifistic. I don't fight as much as I did as a young boy and man (been a long time, thank goodness). But I will defend my family if they are under threat. I can not imagine someone hurting my wife or kids or someone under my care as a pastor, and standing idly by. Now, I am more apt to defend the defenseless than myself. There is power in telling someone that Jesus loves them when they are about to harm you. That may not seem Christian enough to some, but there it is.

No comments: